Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
August 14, 2016
How wonderful it would be if receiving a fair motor vehicle accident settlement were straightforward and easy. Unfortunately, we all know it is not. In fact, negotiating a motor vehicle accident claim with an insurance company can be frustrating. These and many other issues can lead to disputes and insufficient settlement offers.
Motor vehicle accident claims for motor vehicle accident damage have a period of 3 years for you to claim. Also, the party who has suffered damages as a result of an accident has three years to institute legal proceedings against you. And note that if a third party approaches after the three years has come and gone after an accident, you can refuse to pay for their damages.
Some Things That Lead to a Dispute Resolution
You can talk to any South Africans. Just about all of them will tell you that motor insurance companies often don’t honour all the promises they make. Understandably, declining a motor vehicle claim for car accident damages is a convenience for them. Many South Africans know that the car insurance company will likely reject, deny or not offer fair and full motor accident compensation. Then it may be necessary to enter into a dispute resolution with the vehicle insurance company.
If you own a car, if you are able, then it is best to buy comprehensive car insurance.
Regardless of whose fault the accident was, you can claim from insurance to cover damages incurred. Depending on your insurance policy, the company may cover all costs.
Depending on your insurance policy, the company may cover all costs.
Steps Before Making Motor Vehicle Accident Claims
- If possible, take plenty of details of the accident and take pictures. Also take photographs of the other driver’s license disk and number plate. They may well not have a driver’s license.
- You must report all accidents to the nearest police station within 24 hours of the crash. Then they will provide you with a case number.
- You can allow your car to be towed away by a tow-truck driver. Just make sure that your insurer covers these services and recognises the particular tow-truck company.
Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Process
- Provide your insurance company will full details of the accident. And make notes of all the persons involved as well as details such as insurance policy holder.
- You can claim from the driver’s insurance company, but if the other driver was uninsured, then you might need to take the matter to the small claims court.
- Payouts will depend on the nature of the accident and the damages incurred.
- The insurance company will analyse the police report.
- After that, the insurance company will also send their evaluator to inspect the vehicles.
- The insurer reviews all reports filed by all parties.
- Only once your claim has been processed with your insurance company will they pay for the repairs to your vehicle
Be Extra Vigilant
In the end, the damages resulting from the accident will determine the outcome of the claim and the amount of monetary compensation you receive. Admittedly, the motor car insurance industry in South Africa is fraught with frustrations. So the only way to avoid becoming involved with it, is to drive with extreme caution on South Africa’s treacherous roads.
To get a FREE car insurance quote, please submit and send the form on this page
All info was correct at time of publishing