Young drivers take heart – you can get cheap car insurance
January 23, 2019
How to get cheap car insurance for young drivers.
- Improve the risk you pose to insurance companies and go for a defensive driving course to improve your skills
- Drive a car that has a smaller engine
- Make sure that your car is secure at night
- Choose to pay a higher excess
Young drivers often feel that they are getting a raw deal when it comes to car insurance. The problem is young drivers have a higher risk of having accidents. If you want to decrease the amount that you pay, you need to make yourself a lower-risk prospect.
As a young driver, the odds are against you. Statistics show you are more likely to be involved in an accident the year after you have passed your licence, than at any time after that. The reason is inexperience and driving in a reckless fashion.
Cheap car Insurance for Young drivers and How you Can reduce the Risk
- Start by taking a recognised defensive driving course. This will help to improve your skills and count in your favour
- Choose a car with a smaller engine. A high-performance vehicle is considered to be risky in the hands of a young driver
- As tempting as it can be to take insurance out in your parent’s name to benefit from lower premiums, it hurts your cause. With the policy in your name, you pay more initially but you set up a good no-claims history for yourself
- Try a pay-as-you-drive option. This helps in that it reduces the amount of time you are likely to spend on the road. The less time you drive, the less chance you’ll be in an accident
- Increasing your excess can help to reduce the amount that you have to pay on a monthly basis. However, make sure you are able to pay the excess amount if it becomes necessary
- Reduce the risk of theft and choose better security features for your car. Ensure the car is secure every night.
Get Third Party Only insurance at the Very least
You cannot drive around without insurance. If you cause an accident you are liable for the damage to the other car and this can add up quickly. Third party insurance is a must and shows you are serious about road safety. Plus, it’s a good way to start a clean driving record and it’s cheap.
Remember, with Third Party Only the other person’s car is repaired. You have to pay for your repairs.
Peace of Mind for Parents
If your parents decide to take out insurance on your behalf, a product like Vitality Drive by Discovery is a good idea. The system monitors how you drive and rewards you for good driving.
It also includes an added incentive in the form of the Young Adult Plan. With this plan, 25% of your premium is allocated to a rewards fund if you drive well. The funds are available after a period of six months.
To get your car insurance quote please fill in the form on this page.
Don’t forget to click to submit the form so we can send you a quote.
All info was correct at time of publishing